Monday, July 16, 2007

Weekend Update: Eats, Gem Farms, More Local Farm Stands


Friday EATS was selling sushi grade yellow fin tuna for $15/lb. It looked better than any tuna I have seen in the local markets. Two “lobes” I was able to pick myself (it was hand-cut in to portions by EATS), cost me just under ten bucks. I took it home, sliced it into strips and ate it sashimi style. It was awesome. No trace of funky smell, or any smell for that matter, and the taste was clean and buttery.


Sunday, the Freak Fam took a road trip south-east of Albany to Gem Farms where they raise buffalo. Not only was it awesome to see these beasts, but we were able to buy the meat as well. I bought hamburger patties, filet, flank, and delmonico. Buffalo meat is supposed to be lower in calories, fat and cholesterol than beef. It supposedly has less fat content then chicken, turkey and shrimp. I will update you when I cook it and put the quality and flavor to the test. But definately worth the short, beautiful drive from Albany. Get directions from the Gem Farms website.

We had lunch in Chatham, a very quaint town with a couple of cute gift shops and cafes. Mrs. Freak had an avocado, tomato and brie sandwich at Our Daily Bread that hit the spot on a hot afternoon, but all other lunches were unremarkable. After, we drove up and down route 9, 203 and 28A hunting for farm stands and there were plenty. Everyone is packing corn. Berries, beans, peaches, onions, potatoes were all plentiful. Tomatoes weren’t quite local yet. One stand off Route 203 called The Berry Farm, had a large selection of exotic local produce (baby turnips, baby beets, champagne grapes, gooseberries), but also stocked local chicken, pork and beef. I picked up some awesome looking burger meat which was from anti-hormone, local grass fed angus cows. See the label for yourself.


This was a great run, we left the house just after ten and we were home before two. There are so many farms in our “backyard” and I am just beginning to explore them. I will keep posting the farm stands throughout the summer, you really want to hit them now!

No comments: