Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Local Corn Alert!


It's here...!

I saw my first local corn for sale yesterday. Gade farm is just starting in dribs and drabs. There was probably about 30 ears or less on the table when I was there. None looked good enough to buy yet, the ears were all on the small side and kind of dry looking. The Barber's Farm stand, formerly at Stuyvesant Plaza in '05, but now behind Passano Paints on Western Ave, looked fresh and vibrant. The kernels were on the large side, what my family refers to as "cow" corn, I suppose because this means its going to be chewy, but the corn still looked really good and fresh. When cooked, the kernels didn't "pop" right off when you sunk your teeth in (the way I like it) yet were not chewy in the least. The corn had a nice texture and great flavor for early corn. Most of the produce I've picked up from Barber's Farm stand over the years has been excellent. In July & August they are behind Passano Paint Monday thru Friday from 12 - 5:30 pm and Saturday 9 am - 1 pm.

Be on the look out now for it's only going to get better from here on in. Every day counts from this point on. It's corn season!

Enjoy!

No comments: