Friday, June 29, 2007

EATS Continues to Surprise

A quick trip to EATS for last minute company snacks proved quite fruitful and surprising!

They had the most beautiful Pacific wild caught salmon which arrived today. They were cut in thick steaks and had an amazing deep red color ($7.20/lb.). They had fresh Berkshire pork and beef, and I was told they had soft shell crabs in the back. I'm definitely bummed I am going out to dinner with friends from out of town tonight. Hopefully they will continue to pull off fresh products like that. In the frozen cases were a number of unusual sausages, including pheasant sausage.

I walked away with a French hard cheese called Comte, a Belgium nutty, creamy gem called Wynendale, and a classic smoked Gouda. I also purchased a half pound of sable, hand-cut to order. Their sable is so fresh and pure, the flesh white and glistening you would think you were in New York City. And for $20/lb. it can't be beat. I also bought a half pound of Applegate Farms black forest ham. Nowhere near the taste of Rolf's own black forest, but definitely more convenient for me today. Finally, I purchased six duck eggs. I much bigger version of a chicken egg, duck eggs make wonderfully fluffy omelets and bigger tastier fried eggs. I like to serve mine over steak. They are .50 each, a whole dollar less than I have seen in New York City.

If you have not been to EATS yet in Stuyvesant Plaza, you definitely need to check them out. They seem to be getting better and better with each visit.

2 comments:

Albany Jane said...

Wow, that's a good price for salmon! I usually only window shop at EATS - I think they're a bit overpriced for what they sell most of the time. However, I really love their freezer section in the back - it's so packed with tons of stuff.

Food ... food ... FOOD! said...

Actually I ordered two salmon steaks for tomorrow. She won't know how much they will cost until then though. But I will soon be able to tell you if they hold up.